Dr. Roger Lirely
Professor of Accounting
"I was inspired by two of my college professors, who were both excellent in the classroom but also took a personal interest in my success. I wanted to offer that same experience to students."
Dr. Roger Lirely is a Professor of Accounting at UT Tyler. His research interests are primarily in taxation and accounting.
- DBA in Accountancy – Southern Illinois University at Carbondale
- MS in Accountancy – DePaul University
- BA in Chemistry – Illinois Wesleyan University
- Chair of the Department of Accounting, Finance and Business Law at UT Tyler since 2010
- Promoted to Professor in 2007
- Kneedler Professor of Excellence, Western Carolina University
- Barry and Pat Smith Fellow of Accountancy, Western Carolina University
Why did you start teaching?
I was inspired by two of my college professors, who were both excellent in the classroom but also took a personal interest in my success. I wanted to offer that same experience to students.
What's the best advice that you ever received?
From my ex-mother-in-law: Get the job first, then worry about whether you can do it. Translation: Don't let fear hold you back.
What's the best advice that you could give your students?
Get engaged with the decision-makers in your chosen field early on. Put yourself out there, whether it's networking, internship, involvement with student organizations or community service. Have an impact and be noticed.« Back to Faculty profiles